of the international scientific seminar on
«ENERGY EFFICIENCY AND ECOLOGICALLY ACCEPTABLE ENERGY SUPPLY IN THE CONTEXT OF CHRISTIAN RESPONSIBILITY FOR CREATION»
that took place on February 10-13, 2010, in Uzhhorod, on the base of the Catechetic spiritual centre
(Uzhhorod monastery of Sisters of «Society of Jesus» order)
Uzhhorod National University, the Department of Catholic Theology and Christian Social Ethics of Ludwig-Maximilians-University in Munich, the German federal foundation for environment (DBU), the Transcarpathian Regional Council, the Commission on Ecology and Migrants of the Roman Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Ukraine, the Commission on Ecology of Mukachevo Greek Catholic Eparchy, Blessed Teodor Romzha Uzhhorod Greek Catholic Theological Academy and «Church and Environment» Charitable Fund acted as the organizers of the seminar.
During plenary and break-out sessions the participants of the seminar delivered speeches and suggested their views on ways of implementing ecologically acceptable energy supply and strategies of sustainable development in Ukraine and Europe. Speeches were delivered by hierarchs and the clergy of the Roman Catholic Church, Mukachevo Greek Catholic Eparchy, Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Religious Union of Progressive Jewish Communities of Ukraine, representatives of Transcarpathian Regional State Administration, its Department of Education and Science, scientists of Uzhhorod National University, Transcarpathian Institute of Post-diploma Pedagogical Education, Transcarpathian branch of Kyiv Slavonic University, Judaica Institute, representatives of nature protection agencies, in particularly, – the State Ecological Inspection in Transcarpathia, Transcarpathian Regional Water Management Services, non-governmental organizations: All-Ukrainian Ecological League, «Ruthenia» Carpathian Ecological Club, «Tysa» Eco-centre, «Ekosfera» Youth Ecological Union, «Chystyi Bereh» social ecological NGO. Furthermore, academicians, professors, associate professors, doctoral students of many schools of Ukraine and representatives of the media and the public took part in the forum.
The participants of the seminar expressed their concerns on the current condition of energy efficiency and ecologically acceptable energy supply both in Ukraine, and Central and Eastern Europe on a whole. A similar concern has been expressed by the Church for long time. The last four forums, organized by the Church and devoted to ecological problems and implementation of sustainable development strategies, can serve as an evidence.
In the course of the seminar, the participants emphasized that pastoral and missionary activities of the Church must take into account the current global challenges of the civilization, and that the Church has to react in a flexible way.
The participants of the seminar stressed the importance of implementing energy saving technologies and ecologically acceptable energy supply. As part of the forum, panel discussions were held and specific suggestions concerning the subsequent collaboration of the Church, the science, the authorities and the public for preserving the Creation were made. These include the following:
- According to the resolutions of previous conferences, to continue and to intensify the creation of permanent work groups at administrative bodies of all Churches and Religions in Ukraine on coordinating initiatives of environmental preservation.
- Churches and religions on the base of their own experience should serve as an example, and should continue and intensify practical ecological actions in the field of energy saving, rational resource use, safe wastes treatment, etc.
- To recommend the hierarchs of all denominations to oblige their priests and preachers to bring up issues of nature conservation, energy conservancy, rational and safe wastes management on a regular basis as a part of pastoral work.
- To recommend both the hierarchy and the clergy of all levels to deepen the effective collaboration with state organizations (authorities; nature conservation agencies – State Ecological Inspection in Transcarpathia, Regional Water Management Services; educational and scientific establishments) and NGOs with a purpose of improving energy efficiency, implementing ecologically acceptable energy supply and improving environmental condition on a whole.
- To support and continue the idea of joint blessings of water sources. To involve high school and college students, representatives of local authorities, culture employees, etc.
- To continue the work on creating the registry of age-old trees on the territories of monasteries, priests’ homes, and sacred buildings on a whole. The importance of this work was emphasized by metropolitan Andriy Sheptytskyi.
- As part of the collaboration between eparchies, parishes, spiritual and secular educational establishments, scientific establishments, authorities, nature conservation agencies, scientific methodical centres, to continue the important direction of work on:
– preparing and publishing methodical works on ecologically acceptable energy supply and environmental protection on a whole;
– creating film- and video libraries, libraries of corresponding literature, that may be used at pre-school facilities, secondary schools and colleges with the purpose of upbringing the future generations the sense of responsibility for Creation.
- To continue and to intensify regular discussions in the media on developing a program of joint actions for implementing the strategy of sustainable development.
- To expand the experience of publishing thematic booklets with addresses of representatives of the authorities and Christian Churches concerning the protection and conservation of the environment, to other regions of Ukraine and bordering areas of neighbouring countries.
- To recommend the authorities and nature protection agencies to regard the Churches and Religions as an important partner in the common search for ways of solving current ecological problems during the international conference on «The ecological situation in the Carpathian Region and ways of its improvement», that will take place in Uzhhorod with a participation of states of the Carpathian Region under the aegis of Council of Europe.
- To recommend the central and local authorities to support the resolution of the International Scientific Seminar on «Energy efficiency and ecologically acceptable energy supply in the context of Christian responsibility for Creation» and to promote subsequent collaboration of state bodies, scientific establishments, Churches and Religions, NGOs in solving ecological problems.
- To recommend the organizing committee to publish the materials of the conference as a separate collection and to make public the information about the conference in the media and scientific issues.
- To send out the resolution of the conference to leaders of Churches and Religions, National Academy of Sciences, Administration of President, Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, Ministry of Environmental Protection of Ukraine Ministry of Fuel and Energy of Ukraine, Ministry of Emergency Situations of Ukraine, Committee on Church and Religion Matters, and Committee for Youth, Family and Sports.
- To express gratitude to the hierarchy and the clergy of the Catholic Church in Ukraine and the Mukachevo Greek Catholic Eparchy for organizing this important international seminar, and to the representatives of Uzhhorod-Mukachevo Orthodox Eparchy, Religious Union of Progressive Jewish Communities of Ukraine, representatives of the authorities, nature protection agencies, and generally to representatives of all social movements and secular institutions that responded and took active part in the work
of the forum.
Chairman of the Commission on Ecology and Migrants of the Roman Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Ukraine,
Bishop of Mukachevo diocese,
Bishop of Mukachevo Greek Catholic Eparchy,
His Grace Milan Shashyk
Scientific secretary of the seminar,
Associate prof. Oleksandr Bokotey